IELTS for fulfilling university entry requirements is something many are not aware of as they dream about their future career as a doctor, international hotel manager or university professor.
Yet, the moment you decide you want to pursue a chigher education, you know you are expected to go through a lot of hard work, long hours of training and of course study.
In the end, you know all your effort will be rewarded because being a doctor is one of the most respected and rewarding professions in the world.
You do have to choose your medical school wisely and to know why IELTS is important as a tool to help you on your journey. Here is some information to help you to decide and to learn about the common entry requirements to medical universities in Europe.
- The University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University College London (UCL)
- Imperial College London
- The University of Edinburgh
Some top universities outside of the United Kingdom include:
- The Karolinska Institutet, located in Sweden.
- The Erasmus University Rotterdam, located in the Netherlands
- The University of Copenhagen in Denmark
- LMU Munich, Germany
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
The minimum entry requirements to start your medical degree studies in Europe would include:
Bachelor’s degree in Europe
- High school diploma (certificate) with high marks in Biology, Chemistry and Math
- Letters of recommendation
- Letter of motivation
- Voluntary or work experience related to Health Care
- Those candidates taking the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) must offer three subjects including Chemistry and Biology at the Higher Level, plus three subjects at Standard Level
- Good English language test scores, a minimum IELTS score varies from school to school but normally ranges between 5.5 – 6.5, equivalent to the CEFR Level of a B2.
To look at the entry requirements and possible choices of where to study:
- The University of Oxford
- The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- The University of Copenhagen
- The University of St Andrews
Master’s degree course requirements on student selection are a little tougher for medical students, the requirements will often include:
- Bachelor degree diploma (Medicine or any degree related to Health Care)
- Good English skills where your IELTS score would be 6.5 to 7.0 on average, for some choices you will need 7.5 or above
- Pass an admission test, a review of your transcripts, recommendations, and other factors as the University makes their admissions decision.
A good overview is provided on the Imperial College London website of their courses and the qualification requirements you would need to study. To view a study portal list of 1200+ Master`s medical courses click here