Adjectives can be fun – What are they?
Merriam Webster define an adjective as:
a word belonging to one of the major form classes in any of numerous languages and typically serving as a modifier of a noun to denote a quality of the thing named, to indicate its quantity or extent, or to specify a thing as distinct from something else
The word red in “the red car” is an adjective.
Adjectives can be fun because you can use them to describe all sorts of things or situations. Let us take music as an example:
- It was a French song
- Punk music had energy
Which of the words are an adjective?
Fill in the blanks for each music genre:
- Easy Listening
- I was at a concert listening to ……….. music.
- I was in the elevator and found myself listening to the soft ………………………………. music.
- I could not sleep so I decided to listen to …………….. music.
When you describe music you could use any of these adjectives in your sentence:
Many of these words can be used as an adjective to describe other nouns:
- The bus trip was awful
- The bus journey was so slow
- The passengers in the bus were loud
- The bus had loud piercing brake noises when it stopped
This is why adjectives can be fun.