What is the IELTS Test?
IELTS stands for the International English Language Testing System and is co-owned by IDP (International Education Specialists) IELTS: Australia, Cambridge English Language Assessment (formally known as UCLES) and the British Council.
After changes were made to the test, it gained popularity and is now taken by more than 3 million people a year in over 140 countries. It is used as a language proficiency test for those immigrating to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK. Over 10,000 universities, schools and immigration authorities and companies also recognize IELTS scores for student, immigration and job applications as a trusted method to evaluate English language knowledge and skills.
IELTS are available up to 10 times a year and offered throughout Switzerland for your convenience. Currently, The Boston School GmbH offers our preparation courses in Zurich but we have plans to expand to other regions of Switzerland where our dedicated teachers are located. You will find the list of upcoming test dates in the section entitled “IELTS Test Registration Center: Official Dates and Fees”.
The IELTS tests all 4 skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking and has 2 main versions:
- Academic IELTS test: recommended for those wishing to enroll at universities with courses held in English. It also is suitable for business professionals looking to add a recognized English language certificate as proof of language proficiency level.
- General IELTS test: designed for those who may need to follow non-academic training courses or immigrate to England or other English-speaking countries
- Both Academic and General IELTS test versions are suitable for business professionals looking for a recognized certificate that proves their English language proficiency level
What is the IELTS like?
- The same IELTS test is administered to all levels of language users. There are not separate tests for different levels.
- IELTS tests 4 skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. The listening, reading and writing tests take 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete.
- The IELTS speaking test is administered separately on a different day and is 11-14 minutes long.
- The speaking test is administered to one person at a time.
- Test takers receive a band score for each section as well as an average band score based on the score of each section.
- There are two main IELTS test versions: Academic IELTS and General Training. Only the reading and writing tests differ. The listening and speaking sections of both versions are the same.
- The IELTS test is administered many times during the year at various locations within Switzerland.
- Students must present a valid ID on taking the exam – the same ID used to register.
- The IELTS test report form is accepted as an official, current confirmation of a test taker’s level of English by immigration authorities and universities for up to 2 years after the test date
The IELTS Scoring System
The IELTS scoring system uses smaller bands in order to pinpoint a student’s level more precisely. Rather than giving just a B2 or C1 result, the IELTS band score reflects the test scorer’s level by giving a band number. As you can see in the chart below, the scores can show whether a student is, for example, at a low, mid or high B1, B2, C1 level.
The Boston School’s IELTS Preparation Course
The Boston School will begin offering intensive IELTS preparation courses starting in the autumn of 2018. These courses will be held at partner “Fachhochschulen” and private universities throughout Switzerland to provide convenience for our test takers. If you are interested in becoming one of our partners, please be sure to contact us on 044 310 3038.
Here is an overview of our course:
It concentrates on the most difficult test sections to practice in a self-study environment:speaking and writing
- 3-hour Mock Test: Academic Listening, Reading & Writing Sections
- 4-hour Speaking Test Preparation Course
- 6-hour Writing Test Preparation Course
- Students can choose one or all of the 3 sections of our course
- Minimum Number of Participants: 4 (if less than 4, the course will be conducted via video conference)
- Maximum Number of Participants: 20
Our Upcoming IELTS Mock Test Dates in Zurich: CHF 180.00
- Saturday, 27 October 2018 10:00-13:00
- Saturday, 12 January 2019 10:00-13:00
- Saturday, 9 March 2019 10:00-13:00
- Saturday, 25 May 2019 10:00-13:00
Our Upcoming IELTS Speaking Test Preparation Dates in Zurich: CHF 180.00
- 2x Friday, 2 & 9 November 2018 14:00-16:00
- 2x Friday, 18 & 25 January 2019 14:00-16:00
- 2x Friday, 15 & 22 March 2019 14:00-16:00
- 2x Friday, 7 & 14 June 2019 14:00-16:00
Upcoming IELTS Writing Test Preparation Dates in Zurich: CHF 280.00
- 2x Saturday, 3 & 10 November 2018 10:00-13:00
- 2x Saturday, 19 & 26 January 2019 10:00-13:00
- 2x Saturday, 16 & 23 March 2019 10:00-13:00
- 2x Saturday, 8 & 15 June 2019 10:00-13:00
To register, please provide your address details in the form provided at the bottom of this page so we can send you confirmation and a payment slip by mail.
Here is the current pricing for our IELTS program valid as of 30 September 2018:
- Mock Test only: CHF 180.00
- 2-Day/4-Hour IELTS Speaking Test Preparation CHF 180.00
- 2-Day/6-Hour IELTS Writing Test Preparation CHF 280.00
- Mock Test and 4-Day IELTS Preparation – Speaking and Writing : CHF 595.00
If the above link is not working, please send your request for an IELTS Test Registration Form in hard copy to: email@example.com. Be sure to add in the subject line: “Request to register for the IELTS Test by mail.” Please include your name and address in your e-mail and we will send the form to you within 24 hours of receiving your request.
IELTS Test Registration Center: Official Dates and Fees
The official IELTS Academic test is offered in Zurich between October 2018 – June 2019 on the following dates. The official IELTS General English test will be offered on those dates marked with an asterisk (*).
- 13 October 2018*
- 17 November 2018
- 1 December 2018*
- 19 January 2019
- 9 February 2019*
- 23 February 2019
- 9 March 2019
- 6 April 2019*
- 27 April 2019*
- 18 May 2019
- 1 June 2019*
- 29 June 2019*
Dates for other testing locations in Switzerland and Austria, along with test fees can be found in the document below, provided by our IELTS partner, Cambridge English Languages GmbH(CEL).
Please note: This chart has 4 pages. To go to the next page, please place your mouse at the bottom of the chart and hover over it. By doing so, the page numbers will appear. Click the down arrow to go to the next page and the up arrow to go back to a page. You will find, for example, the 13 October 2018 date on page 2 of this document. Official IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training Test Dates and Fees
Thanks to being an official IELTS test Registration Partner with Cambridge English Languages GmbH, test takers in Switzerland can conveniently register for an IELTS test online through our website by clicking here.