What is the IELTS Test?
IELTS stands for the International English Language Testing System and is co-owned by IDP (International Education Specialists) IELTS: Australia, Cambridge English Language Assessment (formally known as UCLES) and the British Council.
After changes were made to the test, it gained popularity and is now taken by more than 3 million people a year in over 140 countries. It is used as a language proficiency test for those immigrating to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK. Over 10,000 universities, schools and immigration authorities and companies also recognize IELTS scores for student, immigration and job applications as a trusted method to evaluate English language knowledge and skills.
IELTS are available up to 10 times a year and offered throughout Switzerland for your convenience. Currently, The Boston School GmbH offers our preparation courses in Zurich but we have plans to expand to other regions of Switzerland where our dedicated teachers are located. You will find the list of upcoming test dates in the section entitled “IELTS Test Registration Center: Official Dates and Fees”.
The IELTS tests all 4 skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking and has 2 main Versions:
- Academic IELTS test: recommended for those wishing to enroll at universities with courses held in English. It also is suitable for business professionals looking to add a recognized English language certificate as proof of language proficiency level.
- General IELTS test: designed for those who may need to follow non-academic training courses or immigrate to England or other English-speaking countries
- Both Academic and General IELTS test versions are suitable for business professionals looking for a recognized certificate that proves their English language proficiency level
What is the IELTS like?
- The same IELTS test is administered to all levels of language users. There are not separate tests for different levels.
- IELTS tests 4 skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. The listening, reading and writing tests take 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete.
- The IELTS speaking test is administered separately on a different day and is 11-14 minutes long.
- The speaking test is administered to one person at a time.
- Test takers receive a band score for each section as well as an average band score based on the score of each section.
- There are two main IELTS test versions: Academic IELTS and General Training. Only the reading and writing tests differ. The listening and speaking sections of both versions are the same.
- The IELTS test is administered many times during the year at various locations within Switzerland.
- Students must present a valid ID on taking the exam – the same ID used to register.
- The IELTS test report form is accepted as an official, current confirmation of a test taker’s level of English by immigration authorities and universities for up to 2 years after the test date
The IELTS Scoring System
The IELTS scoring system uses smaller bands in order to pinpoint a student’s level more precisely. Rather than giving just a B2 or C1 result, the IELTS band score reflects the test scorer’s level by giving a band number. As you can see in the chart below, the scores can show whether a student is, for example, at a low, mid or high B1, B2, C1 level.
The Boston School’s IELTS Preparation Course
Here is an overview of the group course:
It concentrates on the most difficult test sections to practice in a self-study environment: speaking and writing
- 2.5-hour Speaking Test Preparation Course
- 8-hour Writing Test Preparation Course
- Intensive group sessions held over 2 consecutive Saturdays.
- Private lesson support also available for additional fee of CHF 60.00/ hour via Skype.
- Minimum Number of Group Participants: 4
- Maximum Number of Participants: 20
Our Upcoming IELTS Test Preparation Date in Zurich: CHF 235.00
2 Saturdays: 11 & 18 May 2019 10:00 – 12:00 / 13:00 – 16:30
Recommended for test takers registered for the 1 June or 29 June IELTS Test dates.
Overview of Syllabus
10:00 -12:00: Writing Task 1: Focus on Introductory Paragraph and Data Analysis
13:00- 15:00: Writing Task 2: Focus on Understanding Directions, Creating an Outline, Developing Ideas
15:15 – 16:30: Speaking Test Parts 1 & 2: Focus on Brainstorming and Developing Ideas
10:00 – 12:00: Writing Task 1: Focus on the Logical Grouping of Trends, Writing Clear Topic Sentences and Using Key Vocabulary Linking Words
13:00- 15:00: Writing Task 2: Focus on Writing Introductions and Conclusions
15:15 – 16:30: Speaking Tasks 2 & 3: Focus on Supporting Opinions with Examples and Stories
To receive more information, please provide your address details in the form provided at the bottom of this page. Before participating in any course, you will need to submit self-corrected reading and listening test scores as well as a complete writing test as part of the registration process.
If the above link is not working, please send your request for an IELTS Test Registration Form in hard copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to add in the subject line: “Request to register for the IELTS Test by mail.” Please include your name and address in your e-mail and we will send the form to you within 24 hours of receiving your request.
IELTS Test Registration Center: Official Dates and Fees
The official IELTS Academic test is offered in Zurich between January – June 2019 on the following dates. The official IELTS General English test will be offered on those dates marked with an asterisk (*).
- 23 February 2019
- 9 March 2019
- 6 April 2019*
- 27 April 2019*
- 18 May 2019
- 1 June 2019*
- 29 June 2019*
Dates for other testing locations in Switzerland and Austria, along with test fees can be found in the document below, provided by our IELTS partner, Cambridge English Languages GmbH(CEL).
Please note: This chart has 4 pages. To go to the next page, please place your mouse at the bottom of the chart and hover over it. By doing so, the page numbers will appear. Click the down arrow to go to the next page and the up arrow to go back to a page. You will find, for example, the 18 May 2019 date on page 2 of this document. Official IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training Test Dates and Fees
Thanks to being an official IELTS test Registration Partner with Cambridge English Languages GmbH, test takers in Switzerland can conveniently register for an IELTS test online through our website by clicking here.
Ready ? Best of luck!
Registration Steps for an IELTS Preparation Course:
- Download and fill out the IELTS Course Registration Form MAY 2019
- Complete the reading test provided by ielts.ch. Self-correct using their answer sheet to determine your score.
- Complete the listening test provided by ielts.ch. Self-correct using their answer sheet to determine your score
- Complete one of the Writing Tasks 1 + 2, provided by ielts.ch.
- Complete The Boston School Registration Form along with your IELTS reading, listening scores and writing tasks
- Send registration form and writing tasks to: email@example.com